This week OGIO International has released the Gotham golf bag collection to the public. This new addition to OGIO’s award winning golf bag line was previewed in January at the PGA Merchandise Convention in Orlando, Florida. The Gotham collection’s lightweight stand and cart bags were extremely well received and praised for their high quality material and sharp design. Named for their matte black finish, the new golf bags certainly call to mind the urban sleekness of Batman’s Gotham City. In honor of the collection’s release, here are some fun facts about the fictional city that inspired it.
1. Not unlike the way our Gotham bags would be at home on goal courses all over the world, Gotham City is somewhat of an international compilation. Numerous cities including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburg, London, Tokyo, and Hong Kong have all been used as inspiration for Gotham City in the Batman comics and films.
2. Writer Bill Finger went through many names including Civic City, Capital City, and Coast City before selecting Gotham. According to Finger, the name came to him when he stumbled across “Gotham Jewelers” in a New York City phone book. Gotham has long been used a nickname for NYC and was originally coined by Washington Irving in his satirical periodical Salmagundi.
3. According to Gotham City’s fictional history, detailed in various ways throughout the comic book series, the town has quite a military past. It is said to have been home to major battles during both the American Revolutionary War and the American Civil War.
4. There is some argument over Gotham City’s fictional geography, as it has varied over decades due to changing writers and story lines. Most references place Gotham in the Northeastern coast of the United States, where New York City is located. However, it has also been said to be in New Jersey, Connecticut, or even the Midwest.
5. According to legend, Gotham City is home to some old occult practices. Allegedly, some of the American Founding Fathers were involved in summoning a bat demon that was trapped below old “Gotham Towne” and inspiring Bruce Wayne’s Batman identity. But don’t worry, unlike Gotham City, we promise there’s nothing dark and depraved about Gotham golf bags, just lots cool features and durability. Check this new collection out today!